Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Map testing and new vocabulary words

Dear Parents,
Today, half the class took the MAP test in mathematics.  I say half because half of our computers were on the fritz!  We'll find a time in the school schedule to get the other half tested ASAP.  

On another note, I learn new things every day from your kids.  Since using a bible is new to most of the kids, we've been talking through using the table of contents to find where in the Bible certain books are.  Yesterday, we were looking at our Table of Contents to find our memory verse from 1 John.  After the kids flipped to the right book, I realized that half of them were in "regular" John.  I gave a quick lesson on where 1 John was, but it got me thinking about the differences between 1 John and "regular" John.  I asked Pastor Mark to come visit us today and give us a mini-lesson on the difference between these two books.  He told the kids that "regular" John was a gospel, meaning it tells the story of the life of Jesus Christ.  1 John is an epistle (ask you child if they can remember the definition of this word), meaning, a letter.  We added the word "epistle" to our learning target board today.